Using Advanced Technology to Clean The Oceans

Neglecting our environment led us to the point where we need to put all our efforts into saving the planet. While “an ounce of prevention is better than the pound of cure,” it’s already too late to start behaving well now and not take care of the mess we left behind. Cleaning the oceans is essential, and advanced technology can be of great help.

Advanced Recycling

Only 10% of plastic materials produced each year get recycled. This leaves other 90% to be buried, burned, or left in our environment, mostly in oceans. Traditional recycling methods are not enough, hence the need for advanced recycling in necessary. A British company called Recycling Technologies has developed a revolutionary recycling technique that turns all types of plastic into wax and oil, which can then be reused. This also includes recycling materials that were considered unrecyclable. They aim to end the traditional approach of throwing away old plastic, which can be entirely useful if recycled correctly.

Manufacturing

The solution to the global issue of plastic waste in our oceans may lie in the production of plastic itself. Most plastic materials are recyclable; however, a lot of plastic things are also made from petroleum-based sources and are labeled nonrenewable. Producing plastic so it’s completely biodegradable and recyclable may be one of our best solutions right now.

Collecting Waste

While recycle and manufacture technologies might help us prevent plastic ocean waste in the future, someone still needs to clean all the garbage that is already there. Some approximations say that by 2050, there will be more plastic bottles in our water that there are fish. While this is very alarming, some people seem to have found a solution.

The Ocean Cleanup project was started by an ambitious young man by the name of Boyan Slat. His ingenious project was based on the fact that ocean current collects plastic in big patches, the great Pacific garbage patch being the biggest of them all. Boyan and his team plan to set out a certain form of “traps” in the ocean consisting of long floating pipes. This way, garbage can be concealed into the traps and sent further for recycling.

Education

By now, we should know how to make a difference between the good and the bad when it comes to our environmental behavior. However, data science and advanced statistics can give us a better insight into how exactly the waste gets to the ocean, and what is the best way to stop it.

If our knowledge about ocean waste keeps expanding, it’s less likely that we will make the same mistakes in the future. While we as individuals are important, this valuable knowledge should also be directed to people in power, like politicians and heads of big corporations.